Just One October Blog Post: Finding Balance in the Chaos of Life
The life of women in the modern world are filled with twist, turns, valleys and peaks. We are navigating a multitude of roles, balancing careers, families, relationships and personal growth. We are often left searching for balance amidst the chaos, feeling that we are running a race without a finish line. In navigating my own journey, I have discovered one thing that has helped me move through the triumphs and challenges of life with more ease….embracing the flow. I stopped chasing the desire to find balance in my daily life, instead I began seeking harmony amongst all of the moving pieces.
You are a probably looking at the screen right now, one eye brow raised and saying out loud “What in the world are you talking about, Rylan? I have always been told that I should strive for balance in all things.” I am going to tell you that you are right! It has been etched in our minds from our grade school years that you are really a modern woman if you successfully find a way to balance it all; but what if I told you that this way of thinking was preventing you from finding your bliss in life? Food for thought, right? Let’s dive in a little deeper.
First let’s take a look at the difference between balance and harmony. Balance focuses on external resources that aid in preventing neglect or overwhelm. Harmony is an internal experience, reflecting inner peace, alignment and fulfillment. Let’s break it down even further for a second…I want you to picture a scale.
In order to maintain balance on the scale there needs to be an equal distribution of weight on either side. If you are giving 100% at work on one side, that means you have to find a way to give the same 100% to your home life. That is impossible to do because we only can operate from 100% (on a really good day) and giving 200% every day sounds like a pipe dream. I’m sure you are saying to yourself, “Well, that’s an easy fix. I’ll just split up it up 50/50.” If this is your thought process, let me ask you this question “Why should the areas in your life that mean the most to you get only 50% of you? I’m sure this realization made you sick back in your chair. I had the same response, which led me to focus more on focusing on having harmony life so that I could embrace the flow of the day to day challenges.
What is the power of embracing flow, you ask? Well, it is a state of harmony, presence and alignment with the natural rhythm of life. It is finding harmony within the present moment, and allowing life to unfold with grace and ease. By embracing the flow of the energy each day you are able to control your energy inputs and outputs, ultimately creating more space for the things in life that make you feel alive. Sounds like an amazing, unattainable “Calgon, take me away moment” right?! Well I am here to tell you that if you it is absolutely possible! Let me share with you some of the practical tips below on how to embrace flow in your life.
1. Letting Go of Control: One of the key tools of embracing flow is releasing the need to control every outcome. Instead of trying to force things to happen according to our plans, we can surrender to the energy of the day. Let go of attachment to specific outcomes and trust that everything is unfolding as it should. Embracing flow requires a mindset shift, acknowledging that we are not control of everything, and that’s okay.
2. Cultivating Mindfulness: By being present fully in each moment, we can become attuned to the subtle rhythms and beauty that surrounds us. Take time each day to practice mindfulness, whether through meditation, deep breathing exercises, or simply immersing yourself fully in the present moment.
3. Trusting Intuition: Our intuition is a powerful tool that can guide us towards the path that aligns with our true selves. Embracing flowing means learning to listen to and trust our inner voice. Take the time to connect with your intuition through quiet reflection, journaling, or engaging in activities that bring your joy. Trusting your intuition may involve making decisions that may not seem logical at first, but ultimately lead to a more fulfilling and aligned life.
4. Embracing Change: Change is an inherent part of life and embracing flow means being open to the ever-changing nature of our experiences. Instead of resisting or fearing change, embrace it as an opportunity for growth or transformation. Practice flexibility and adaptability, allowing yourself to go with the flow rather than resisting or clinging to what was.
5. Nurturing Self-Care: Self-care is an essential part of embracing flow. Taking care of ourselves physically, mentally and emotionally allows us to be in a better state to navigate life’s challenges and joys. Activities such as exercise, spending time in nature or practicing self-compassion are all great ways to practice self-care. By nurturing ourselves, we can cultivate a sense of well-being and resilience to flow with the currents of life.
Remember, embracing flow is a lifelong practice that requires a WILLINGNESS to let go, trust and be present. It is not about perfection, but rather a continuous process of surrendering and flowing with the currents. May your own journey be filled with grace, ease and a deep sense of alignment with the flow of life.
Sending you love and light,